Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2011 is here!

Well, I will begin with saying I did not make any New Year's resolutions...nope, not a one! lol I'm going to continue what I began last year and that is to attempt to not start new quilting projects...but I've already blown that one out of the water by viewing several tutorials on youtube! (I'm one of those people that will say, "I can do that, I don't need any help") I'm kind of an over achiever! I just can't help myself though, I want to learn new things...not reading and learning- I like to look at pictures or videos...I need the visual! Then I'm off and running. I find it very difficult to learn when someone is teaching and they don't let me "touch" or "do the task" myself. Let me at it! Actually, all my senses need to be "engaged" in order for me to remember and learn...sometimes that is a problem. I do try to be very polite and patient when someone is instructing. Honestly, I've passed that on to my sons too...with homeschooling my boys I know them very well and they too need to do the "task" themselves...very hands on family...my poor husband tries so hard to teach me things but he won't let me do the task...he just keeps showing me! I get so discouraged cause he won't let me touch and do...lol....ramblings are done now...
Blue Ice finished January 3, 2011

close up of Blue Ice January 3, 2011









So...now on to more important things. I finished my French Braid quilt (2nd one in 4 months) I'm naming this one Blue Ice. I love it!  I will admit that I had some issues with the border. I made several mistakes and had to rip stitches out often!! I was beginning to think I would never get these borders on. I made the first one and attached it just fine, the second border...when I pieced it, I had the 4-patches going in the wrong direction. I wanted the white to run down the quilt like the sashing...I took that border with me to church on Sunday and rip stitches out durning Sunday school...they did not seem to mind one bit.  I also needed to make the top and bottom border pieces smaller. I thought I had worked the math out but I was off so my 4 patches don't line up correctly. That is ok, I'm not entering this into any show!! It is going in my foyer!! Now just to figure out the backing..... I have enough scraps left to piece the binding so that will look very nice!
Oh I must add that I had to piece together my side dark blue triangles. I was using scraps to make those because there was no more fabric!! My favorite quilt shop had sole ALL of that fabric and I could not find it anywhere online. On a good note I was frugal...but we all know what happens when quilters walk into a quilt shop...we must leave with something in our hands!! LOL...yes, I did purchase some fabric...then I went back and purchased more!!
Time to get moving, lots to do lots to do....

10 comments:

  1. Great to see that there are other homeschooling mommas out there quilting.. I too am a visual, tactile learner. I can get it if I read it, but if I actually see it being done, it is better, and if I have done it myself, then I've GOT it!! I'm new to quilting, but I LOVE it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your color choices. Very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely gorgeous. I, too, am not going to add any new projects ---but--- this braid is calling to me. Maybe just a little one would be okay????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your quilt. The colors are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is breathtakingly beautiful!

    sao in Midlothian, VA
    www.shirleyannesheart.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. really nice, where did you get the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A stunning quilt. I love the French Braid pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful quilt, I love your colors. I have not made a french braid quilt yet but that certainly tempts me. I love your comments on teaching as I occasionally teach and have always thought hands-on was the best technique. I like to give basic instructions and get people started then just be available for questions as they go and it seems to work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite colors! How marvelous... I want one! (Is that envy?? Oops!) It's wonderful... I guess I'll just have to try this myself! Thanks for sharing....(PS I made NO resolutions either... I'm old enough to know better :-)

    ReplyDelete