Tuesday, November 2, 2010

ahhhh the life of a quilter....

This past weekend I was able to go on a women's retreat with some wonderful Christian ladies from church. We drove up to Bambi Lake in St. Helen, by Roscommon (spelling?) Michigan. Beautiful grounds to walk!! We were able to take a nature walk on Saturday afternoon. I loved it! Being outside breathing the fresh air, a nip of chill in the air and all the beautiful scenery...just wonderful. Our speakers had wonderful testimonies and messages to share, made you think a bit about your life. I'm looking forward to next year's retreat.
About two weeks ago I began organizing my sewing room. I thought I had it all figured out as in the best way to organize, but I was wrong....I needed a better system and better storage answers. In the midst of it all I realized I had missed 6 drawers of fabric scraps! How could one do this? Well, I was sitting by them every time I sat down to sew and just did not pay them any attention.
When I arrived home from the women's retreat I made a decision to attack those drawers. This past Sunday afternoon, after church, I did just that!  I pulled the storage drawers out from under the table and began. I made a HUGE mess!!! I mean a HUGE mess, did I mention I made a mess? Lord help me, now it is overwhelming!! LOL
My next step is to take all the "organizing" of the first set of scraps and combine them with the present set of scraps that are strewn all over two, yes 2 eight foot tables. Instead of attempting to put all these scraps into the tiny plastic bins (just slightly larger than a shoe box) and place all the organized scraps into the plastic draw units. This will be a much easier way to get to them and free up shelf space...I was storing all the small plastic bins on the wire shelving units. I really do need to take a picture of this mess, but I can't seem to find my camera. I think my son Chris has taken the camera down to his "filming" area in the basement. The battery is probably dead.
Yesterday morning I spoke with the manager of the education department from the local JoAnn Fabric store. I brought in samples to show my work and basically I was hired on the spot to help teach quilting. Now this will NOT be a huge income maker, by any stretch, it is just my way of sharing the love of piecing/quilting. I'm not an official employee of JoAnn's I'm a subcontractor...hmmmm interesting title...I feel so important now! LOL I have some ideas on how to bring more people into the love of sewing again. Hopefully, there will be plenty of opportunity to share this love!
Today is voting day! I hope everyone exercises their right to vote!! Go Vote!! I will be voting on my way to pick up my sister from the airport. Renee is flying in and will be staying till Sunday morning. I'm so excited she is here! We are going to have a blast!
Take care everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment